Where to live in Perth!

Guest Fiach&Laura

Guest Fiach&Laura

Hi Guys,

My boyfriend and I are hoping to move over to Perth in Feb, just wondering where is the best place to live? We are both recent graduates so will be hoping to find jobs and settle in but want to start looking at places to live so we can estimate rent and cost of living so we have enough saved for a good while if we cannot get jobs!! Ideally I would not like to live with strangers so would be just the two of us! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!!

A lot of people seem to get a holiday rental for a few weeks so that they can orientate themselves around the city a bit. And then when they've got jobs etc sorted, they'll know where they want to live. Having a look something like homehound.com.au might help with getting a feel for prices etc. General rule seems to be, closer to the city or the beach, the more you pay. Also have a look at where the train and buses run at transperth.wa.gov.au as that might give you an idea of how far things are away from each other.

Are you comming out on perm residence visas or working holiday visas? I ask because depending upon this and your degree backgrounds then it will make a big difference as to the finances. If you are comming out on working holiday visas and your degrees are in things other than things like engineering, medical / nursing, something mining related then you shouldnt expect to get graduate level work.

So you are likely to get fairly menial work in areas such as bar work. In which case you need to save as much as possible. Perth is not cheap! A one bedroom appartment in a ok area is going to be around $400 a week. About the same as one of your weekly wages.

I agree with the above, it really depends on whether you'll be working professionally or bartending. If professional you will probably want reasonably close to the city, as that is where the majority of offices are based. If bartending it will vary - there are bars all over Perth obviously ;)