How long in 'holiday rental'?

Guest cartertucker

Guest cartertucker

I am about to book my holiday rental for when we 1st arrive, but am not sure if one month is long enough for us to find a area we want to settle in & book a furnished rental? :confused:

Hi Kelly....When we first came we took ours for 6 weeks. This for us was just the right amount of time. We knew we were settling in Secret Harbour though and didn't need look for a suburb. We hadn't been before though so had a lot of sightseeing to do. That said in those 6 weeks we sight saw, we bought 2 cars, we got kids enrolled at schools, Steve got a job and started work about 2 weeks in and we found our rental. Never felt rushed, so for us 6 weeks was right.

Sue x

Hi Kelly :) We have had people book to stay with us for anywhere from 8-12 weeks while waiting for their containers. One thing to keep in mind is that the containers seem to get delayed on a fairly regular basis, so you may find you have to extend your stay in your short let for a few weeks - it's worth checking out that this is possible, or at least letting the owners of your short let know, so they can factor this in. Otherwise they may book someone in immediately after your departure, and you have to then go and find somewhere else for a couple of weeks while waiting for your container. We have had situations where people have had to do this, and as we have not been aware, we've booked new people in and had to disturb our current tenants by getting them to move out. Obviously not ideal for them, and fairly easily avoided by letting the owners know.

Good luck :)

Jen :)

We booked for 31 nights but moved out a week early because we got a long term rental. Had a look at a few suburbs, decided what we wanted in terms of distance from x,y and z then looked at suburbs matching that profile. Looked at our budget and got something that fits into that!

Guest cartertucker

Thankyou all so much ~ We were just thinking, if we book for a month, our move out date will be around Xmas time....Will we be able to get another rental to let us move in then???

So much to think about!

Thankyou all so much ~ We were just thinking, if we book for a month, our move out date will be around Xmas time....Will we be able to get another rental to let us move in then???

So much to think about!

I would book past Christmas and New Year. Finding a rental at the moment is hard enough without factoring in the holidays when pretty much everything stops. You mention in your first post a holiday rental and then a furnished rental? Are these not the same, very few normal rentals are furnished. Personally I wouldn't be wanting to find any kind of rental at Christmas and New Year.

Hi Keith good to hear you you found somewhere. have you settled in now and where did you decide on?

We are hopefully not too far away now, business registration came through yesterday, rented our house out now and they move in on the 21st Oct then we just need to book flights and holiday accommodation. We are going to book for probably 6 weeks to start off with as I am not expecting our furniture to arrive until end December.