just one question.. Perth is it really that expensive?

Tosh105

Ok, so I am going to ignore your 10 words or less request because I feel it needs more than that!

Yes Perth is expensive compared to the majority of the UK. My husband earns a very good wage, I work part time only. If you want to buy a house then your housing will cost you a LOT of money if you want to live in a decent area. Groceries are more expensive, utilities are more expensive and generally day to day living is more expensive in my opinion and our situation. In the 6 years I have been here our cost of living has doubled. It used to be cheap but no longer. However, you have to balance all the good things that you gain from living here then as someone else said we are far richer. My kids are happier, the sun shines more often, my husband spends less time commuting and we are fortunate enough for me to only work part time.

Life is too short for regrets so I say go for it.

try to keep answers to 10 words or less!:smile:

Yes,

Economy driven by:-

Mining wages, remoteness, captive market, greed, cartel’s, manipulated markets, looking after the boys, lack of competition, difficulty in growing fruit and veg in an arid barren desert.

Guest guest1337
Yes,

Economy driven by:-

Mining wages, remoteness, captive market, greed, cartel’s, manipulated markets, looking after the boys, lack of competition, difficulty in growing fruit and veg in an arid barren desert.

I Wish you'd stop being so positive all the time, it's soooo boring!!!!

Guest lizard of oz

Perth is very expensive. WA has highest rate if mortgage hardship in Australia and house prices are over inflated although have shown a drop of a little over 7% over the recent year.

Wages are skewed by high earners connected to the oil, gas and mines. Many only earn around $40,000 to $60,000 a year. Some less.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest lizard of oz
Would you say compared to other Aussie cities it is still more expensive?

No where could be regarded as cheap but to my mind Perth as cashed in big time to the boom. Even though the dollar is very high imports remain very expensive. Goodness knows what it will be like when the dollar finally declines. No doubt the importers will want to continue maximising profits.

I would not come to Perth if coming now. But then I recall less than ten years ago or there abouts when things were half the price. More likely go to Melbourne. All depends on which area a person works in as well.

I lived in Ireland a long time ago and was shocked at the prices coming from London. How those prices may reflect when comparing to Perth today i can't really say.

It can be good for some and only you can decide what's best in your individual curcumstances. Good luck in where ever you decide.