Best Finance Co. for car loan for 457 visa holder

Piscine75

Guest pat and mike

you may find that if you are new to Aus you aren't on any credit listings and therefore no-one will touch you with a bargepole....and those that do may make you pay.

Guest pat and mike

painfully slowly !! we convinced our bank - or rather the bank manager convinced "Head office" to give us a credit car with - can't remember if it was $500 or $1000 limit. it meant we'd got on the credit radar. after a few months we rang the credit card co, said we had purchase we needed to make and it was $1500 and the person on the other end tapped away at the computer and said the limit seemed very low, would $5k be more suitable? once we had paid a couple of months of cr card bills we applied for another card from another bank and got one with a few grand on. six years on they keep writing to us saying they've upped our limit...think its just getting on the credit register is the problem. i know banks now seem to be targeting immigrants so it may be easier to break in !!

If you can do it through your employer, a novated lease is fairly easy to arrange. I got one after 2 weeks being employed. They can source some good deals on car prices too, if you want a new car.

Other option is commonwealth bank. They financed my for my ex partners car. By the way anyone interested in buying a 3 month old Hyundai i30??? Need to get rid of it lol

If you can do it through your employer, a novated lease is fairly easy to arrange. I got one after 2 weeks being employed. They can source some good deals on car prices too, if you want a new car.

Other option is commonwealth bank. They financed my for my ex partners car. By the way anyone interested in buying a 3 month old Hyundai i30??? Need to get rid of it lol

Hiya,

Forgive my ignorance but what is a novated lease?

It's an arrangement between you, the lease company and your employer. The lease payments (plus fuel and maintenance if you want to) are taken off before you are paid. Some comes off before tax, and some afterwards. So there are tax savings with it.

Have a look at smartsalary's website, they have all the info on there

Andy

It's an arrangement between you, the lease company and your employer. The lease payments (plus fuel and maintenance if you want to) are taken off before you are paid. Some comes off before tax, and some afterwards. So there are tax savings with it.

Have a look at smartsalary's website, they have all the info on there

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for such useful information.

Do you know if you are eligible on a 457 visa?

Yeah - I'm on a 457 visa, and had only been on it 2 weeks when I got the car.

It's a wee bit more complicated than if you are a resident, but it's not that hard. I was able to prove some savings I have in the uk, so it was simple - but definitely worth doing. You shouldn't have too much problem

Andy

Yeah completely. LAFHA is an allowance you can claim for being here on a 457. I believe it reduces your tax, but I'm not sure.

The novated lease is just a different way of doing a normal fully maintained car lease that means your payments come off Before your salary is paid and you make some tax savings.

Andy

It depends on which company you go through. I know that smart salary will let you sort the car and finance yourself, provided that the finance company will meet there conditions (there are only 2 and they are to do with the repayments). But if your finance is approved but not paid out doesn't mean you need to go through with it - worth getting a quote elsewhere at least. If you are straight out financing then a lease may well work out cheaper per month.

The only real condition with the novate lease I found was that the lease has to end 2 months before my visa expires (ie my lease is 3 years 10 months) but didn't bother me as I am going for residency anyway.

Regards

Andy

• 2 months later...