Advice on midwifery sponsorship

Guest EdinburghFamily

Guest EdinburghFamily

Hi guys,

To cut a long story short my wife and I (along with seven year old) are wanting to move to Oz, ideally Perth.

To help us get there my wife left her job 18 months ago and is a full time student, studying midwifery.

Unfortunately, as we understand it, the normal skilled migration route isn't open to us as my wife will be over 40 by the time she graduates.

We are trying to find out what we would need to do to move over there, and it looks like we would need to receive sponsorship. We also understand that means my wife would need to work for a couple of years here in the uk first in order to get this.

We are looking to find if a) our understanding so far is correct, and b) how realistic is it that my wife could get sponsorship from the health board of WA.

We also have a million and one other questions, but we will start with these!

If anyone can help, or can offer us any advice we would be really grateful.

thanks for taking the time to read this.

EdinburghFamily

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Im a student nurse..and I also dont qualify points wise to come in under normal skilled route. So I am hoping to get sponsorship when I qualify too..hoping to get on one of those grad programs if I can. If not hopefulyl on a sponsored 457 visa or PR one.

However, when I have been researching i think it was ramsay health? Or WA health board were crying out for midwives if i remember? So I would definitely enquire with these..as they would probably take her as a newly qualified and sponsor with any luck..its worth a shot!

Good luck!

Hi guys,

To cut a long story short my wife and I (along with seven year old) are wanting to move to Oz, ideally Perth.

To help us get there my wife left her job 18 months ago and is a full time student, studying midwifery.

Unfortunately, as we understand it, the normal skilled migration route isn't open to us as my wife will be over 40 by the time she graduates.

We are trying to find out what we would need to do to move over there, and it looks like we would need to receive sponsorship. We also understand that means my wife would need to work for a couple of years here in the uk first in order to get this.

We are looking to find if a) our understanding so far is correct, and b) how realistic is it that my wife could get sponsorship from the health board of WA.

We also have a million and one other questions, but we will start with these!

If anyone can help, or can offer us any advice we would be really grateful.

thanks for taking the time to read this.

EdinburghFamily

Hi Edinburgh family

I'm pretty sure Ali is right, the age limit for PR has been raise to 45 you just don't get any points for your age when you are over 40. I have been offered sponsorship as a midwife at a local hospital and am hoping to be in Perth by the summer. Happy to give you any help or advice you need.

Kirstie xx

hi tomabbie, sorry to edge in on your chat... my names Jo im an itu nurse been toying with the idea of a move to Perth, i was offered job in Taz but got cold feet. can you tell me what happens with the sponsorship ?? do WA deal with all that or do you pay up front and get reimbursed or what haaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa:arghh: so many questions.

Jo.

Guest Chantel

Hello,

I hope you manage to sort out your visa. :cute: I would really love to train as a midwife when I return to Perth this summer, I haven't got any qualifications or experience, but I would love to make this my permanent career. I am an Australian born citizen who has lived in England most of my life. Any advice or suggestions please? Many thanks. Chantel

Guest Chantel
Contact the Uni's Chantel with regards training. Curtin, Edith Cowen, Notre Dame and Murdoch all offer nursing - not sure which offer midwifery

Thank you. I will get onto them. All the best

Hi tomabbie, if you don't mind me asking, which hospital will you be working at? I have also been offered sponsorship by one of the hospitals in Perth with a summer start date, however a recent family illness means that this may not happen now!

Hi edinburgh family, just to let you know I've now been qualified for 2 years and have spent the last year applying for jobs and trying to get sponsorship. Have now just been offered sponsorship, the hospital said that although there is a shortage of midwives they are looking for experienced midwives as they have lots of newly qualified applying/already there!

Lucy