Exchange rate freefall?

Rosshf

We are hoping to move to Perth in September (163 visa) and so every day I now look at the exchange rate -- it's becoming a minor addiction. Over the past couple of weeks it's not been a pretty sight. Today the rate is 1.49 AUD to the £. Someone please tell me it's going to rebound soon and climb to a new peak round about September.

The rate can't languish in the doldrums for much longer, can it?

Cheers

Ross

Edited by Rosshf

Erm....yep, it can I'm afraid.

Interestingly I get an email everyday - it did rebound slightly around Christmas, reaching 1.6, but now is below 1.5 again.

Not sure it'll be increasing any time soon I'm afraid.

But, don't stress too much about the exchange rate - once you're over there it doesn't affect you. You might have a bit less to go over with, but that's about it.

But, don't stress too much about the exchange rate - once you're over there it doesn't affect you. You might have a bit less to go over with, but that's about it.

My problem is I'll have a fair bit of dosh to convert into AUD, so small differences are still significant. Maybe the Euro will implode...

Ross

Guest gingermelon22

hey ross,

i know how ya feel just before xmas the aus dollar was 1.31 against the euro now it has dropped to 1.23 and getting worse by the day.im hopefull that it will improve but i seriously doubt that it will:(

Guest PeteDollar
We are hoping to move to Perth in September (163 visa) and so every day I now look at the exchange rate -- it's becoming a minor addiction. Over the past couple of weeks it's not been a pretty site. Today the rate is 1.49 AUD to the £. Someone please tell me it's going to rebound soon and climb to a new peak round about September.

The rate can't languish in the doldrums for much longer, can it?

Cheers

Ross

Range used to be from 2-3.3 but if you go back to the 1970's it got to 1.1.

As a commodity producing country in a world of rising commodity prices Au$ unlikely to weaken.

Strenthening is a distinct possibility.

Good if you work there, bad your bringing funds in

My problem is I'll have a fair bit of dosh to convert into AUD, so small differences are still significant. Maybe the Euro will implode...

Ross

I seriously wouldn't put any hope in it increasing. Plan on it weakening further, and you can only then be surprised.

Only you know the sum of money you're talking about. I've heard of people doing stuff like buying cars, shipping them and trying to sell them, but there's a tax implication in that.

Also, you could take a risk and start converting £'s to AUD now.

TL;DR - I don't think the rate will increase in your favour soon, so plan for the worst and see if it's still viable.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In an effort to encourage anyone to post some good news about the exchange rate, thought I'd reinvigorate this thread and highlight the latest rate: 1.5112 [bangs head against wall].

We got our visa granted at beginning of June, just as the exchange rate headed for the cliff yet again, so holding off exchanging for the moment. I'm away to stick my money in a Greek/Spanish/Italian bank...

1.61, where are you now?

Ross

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gsimmons

There are a lot of considerations that are needed to be able to prove that your venture in forex trading is as important and one that works right within your resources. Sure enough it is not as shabby as how you want it to be but it would work right for whatever it is worth. Hope that things would be going equally as important and well for you. And hope that there would be no problems for what you like.

Guest themanns

try not to worry about the exchange rate too much as if you have a large amount you could put it into a savings account in aus and the rate can be as much as 6 or 7 %! that should claw some back