Western Power - team UK!!!

Guest sweetpea 1

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Deano2215

hey folks glad all is coming together for u all at last, looking like another big class for PTS in Aug, poor Stinky will have his hands full lol, hope to get to meet most of u n ur familys over the coming weeks....... u have made the right decision dont be worrying n if we who r here can help, then we will , sooo who is coming to my Depot Balcatta lol...

We have our Visa now :jiggy:

That was a bit of a nervous wait ..... I thought it was never gonna come!

It's really hit home now what were actually doing - eek. I've still got sh1t loads to sort out. At least we have our house rented out now, that was the main hurdle.

Roll on the 20th, I'll see you all out there! :cool:

Guest cargill85

Hi everyone, applied for a foreman job for wp even tho im just a cable jointer just to try and get noticed. I didnt get it obviously! but they were impressed with my cv and had my first phone interview this morning for a transmission cable jointer based in jandakot. Interview went really well and got another more competency based on the 22 aug, Any tips? also, whats the q1 wage at? would be able to afford a rent of $450 pw? Exciting times! :jiggy: Thanks all! :biggrin:

Guest Josie 73

Hi Guys,

We are currently waiting on our Visas ( all paperwork in and due in about 2 weeks fingers crossed) My man due to start Oct 15th. The Sydney office who deals with them just emailed to ask if our 19 year old had proof she was finanically dependent on us (which she is and is working low paid as a waitress) They asked for proof like is she in higher education which she finished last year but she would ultimately be homeless if she didnt come with us!!! Has anyone else taken out or is taking there children who are over 18 out??? Any comments very much appreciated

Thanks Jo :)

Guest allan28

Just wondering if any one already out there has heard whats going on with Transfield Services, was short listed with them a few weeks ago for an interview only to get a mail this morning saying they had cancelled their UK recruitment campaign but would forward all details to Western Power. Are WP still recruiting for lineworkers?

Just wondering if any one already out there has heard whats going on with Transfield Services, was short listed with them a few weeks ago for an interview only to get a mail this morning saying they had cancelled their UK recruitment campaign but would forward all details to Western Power. Are WP still recruiting for lineworkers?

We were told that they will be back over for another round of recruitment later in the year. PM me and I'll explain what we were told.

Guest karl_op
We were told that they will be back over for another round of recruitment later in the year. PM me and I'll explain what we were told.

i'd be interested in finding out what you know about this too - can't figure out how to PM??

Guest allan28
i'd be interested in finding out what you know about this too - can't figure out how to PM??

Go to blue taskbar at top of page select private messages, on left of screen under "my messages" gives options

Sure i can let you know what Danmon knows

Guest LegoHead

Hi All

Thinking about leaving the UK in the next few years and have read this thread with great interest. I'm currently a training linesman (2 years) in the South West UK with WPD. I love the job but would ultimately love to end up in Western Australia. I have a partner and a 2 year old daughter so as with most of you there is a lot to consider. I will be following this thread / forum very closely to build up a picture of what life is like and also what is expected/required.

I'll no doubt end up chatting to some of you soon. Good luck to those of you who are about to go or have already gone. Very Jealous.

Guest Josie 73

Hi Guys,

After lots of paperwork and form filling in our 457 visa application has been lodged today with an estimated time of 2 to 4 weeks can anyone tell me how long theres took? as my other half starts training in Perth on Oct 15th!

Thankyou Jo :)

Hi Guys,

After lots of paperwork and form filling in our 457 visa application has been lodged today with an estimated time of 2 to 4 weeks can anyone tell me how long theres took? as my other half starts training in Perth on Oct 15th!

Thankyou Jo :)

Josie, mine took less than ten days.

Guest Josie 73

Good luck Wile E C !!! Hope you have a good journey are you flying via Singapore or Dubia?

A nervous wait for us still with Visa - Keeping everything crossed

Hope all you guys just heading out have a great arrival to Oz and all the best to you all :)

Thanks Josie, we are here now safely :). We went via Dubai with Emirates, the flight from Dubai to Perth is a killer!

Don't worry about your visas, they will come in plenty of time. We had to get police certificates (due to minor offences years ago) and my OH had to have blood tests and stuff done due to being a nurse. It still only took a few weeks all in. When they had all the info it took about 48hrs!

Thanks for the well wishes and I hope to see you sometime over here.

Guest sweetpea 1

Hey Guys,

Haven't been on the forum lately but there seems to be alot going on. All you guys waiting on visas don't panic!!!(lol) unless you have a serious criminal record 457 visa is quite easy to process. I know some of the guys on my intake applied on the Monday and had their visa the following monday.

WP have arranged for us to meet up with the guys comming over this / next week to share our experiences, my main points of advice for those of you on the way are:-

1 apply for TFN number straight away (can be done on line)

2 establish contact with relocation agent to assist with rental search

3 relax & enjoy the experience it is waht you make it.

Take it easy

Greg

Guest Katie b

Hi all! My partner has landed a job with western power as a linesman, we fly to Perth on September 12th 2012! After training we will be moving up to geraldton. We are in our twentys and looking for new friends. Kate

hi deano i am linesman moving to magaret river depot in november after 4 weeks in perth (gap training) . I have my city ang guilds 2322 in electrical supply can u shed eny light on whats involved gaining cert 3. got visa's got a moving date (hed spining) apprehensive now. eny way hope every things going well

hi deano i am linesman moving to magaret river depot in november after 4 weeks in perth (gap training) . I have my city ang guilds 2322 in electrical supply can u shed eny light on whats involved gaining cert 3. got visa's got a moving date (hed spining) apprehensive now. eny way hope every things going well

Scoop, I came over in the first intake in march so can only tell you what I experienced but I don't think it's changed much. When you get here your at PTS for 4 weeks covering first aid, EWP training, familiarisation training, site induction and all the other certificates you need to be able to work on site and on the network. While you are at PTS you will have an interview with a cert three assessor. There are a load of skills you need to be given a cert 3 and he will go through any certificates or proof of experience you may have brought over with you. He will also ask questions just to check you know your stuff and not bluffing. He will then tick off some of the skills you have proven you have and that are also recognised in Australia. After this is done there will be a list of courses you need at attend to complete your gap training. On some courses you need to show evidence that you are competent even after completing the course so you need to submit evidence packs showing what you have done. It's not too difficult and once you get your head around the system it all appears straight forward. There are some courses you just have to do even though you are qualified in the UK as the qualification isn't recognised over here so you need to get the Australian equivalent. Everyone is in the same boat with this one so you will find all of the intake need to do it whatever their background. Getting the cert three will take about 12-18 months we have been told.

What I will say though is take every certificate and qualification with you no matter how insignificant it seems in the UK as you never know it may be recognised over here and save you some additional training.

Margaret River is a lovely place..

All the best..