Emigration & start up costs..how much do i need to save?

thebuckos

Hey,

We are planning on moving over to Perth, fingers crossed once i qualify as a nurse or near after!

Im hoping now to start saving...but was just wondering if I was planning on getting a sponsored 457 visa, me being main applicant, and my husband and kids coming in on my visa what the overall cost would be..

These are what I think i have to save for...flights, visa, Aphra for nursing registration..

and then in addition shipping, any legal costs for over here like uni transcripts, police checks or medicals??

Then obviously deposits for short term & long term rental..and living costs for at least a mth or two...Am i missing anything major, and roughly how much would that come to?

How much did you end up paying or allowing for??

Im planning on selling both our cars...we rent, so would probably sell most of our furniture as its old now..so a minimum of shipping I would guess..??

I really just dont know how much money we are going to need, we can be thrifty so Im not worried about living in a fairly empty house for a few mths, and building up our house as we start working and bringing money in.

If anyone can offer some advice that would be fab..

If you're coming on a 457, you may find your employer covers some/all of the moving costs. I've heard of some even providing places to live for 3 months to allow people time to get settled.

You might want to check on the costs of shipping your cars here. Used cars in Perth hold their value for much longer than in the UK (as an example, we sold a car in the UK and here we saw the EXACT same model/mileage/spec/colour one for three times what we'd sold ours in the UK).

You'll generally want 2 weeks deposit for a rental place, and 2 weeks rent in advance. And the agent will likely take a (refundable) deposit for letting you apply to rent a property.

You seem to have thought of most costs that might crop up. Only you can really make the decision on what's worth bringing and what's worth ditching/ebaying.

I can't remember the exact costs of all of those bits, but I do remember getting fed up dishing out money (I think £400 for the 1-page uni transcript was the most galling).

As you find out the costs for all of those, also factor in the cost of food and other items you'll be needing when here. Groceries are, on a £:$ conversion, horrifically expensive. Bear that in mind when negotiating salary etc!

early days for us but even though we've employed an agent (more than 2k), I understand the medical is £200 and the police check is about £50. Early indicators of shipping a 20ft container seems to be about £2.5k min) and I think we will need to ship our car which is worth about £2.5-3k here, may cost around £5k max!! I would only be able to buy second hand when over there anyway so am thinking I need the bare essentials (beds, fridge, microwave maybe a smaller sofa) - no idea and sorry if this doesn't help as due to early stages I ahve not reserched far but thank God for sites like this! Money is tight asnd we will only have about £30k from sellling our house and this doesn't include flights for a family either. Hope things go well for you. We are hoping to get a 175 vis through my husbndn's engineering machinist skills and have paid for 2 IELTS at £125 each also just to try and get through them :-/

Corinne....would be very grateful if you'd keep me posted on your visa progress as my OH is also a machinist. We are currently looking for a 457 with Perth engineering companies before going down the 175 route on a state sponsored visa as it apparently takes longer. Thanks and good luck.

Thanks for the posts and advice guys! I think some hospitals give abit of a relocation package, but from what I have read it depends on if you speciality is in demand, and if its a private hospital, etc..If I could I want to come over onto a grad program, and I very much doubt they will assist on that..as i will be lucky to even get on one of them..so im going with the fact, that I will have no assistance and then, anything extra is a bonus! :) Better get saving then! :/ x

If you do move on a 457 visa, be sure to negotiate LAFHA (living away from home allowance) up front. It's a tax break from the governement that can offer relief on up to 30% of your salary. This costs your employer nothing beyond a bit of paperwork, but a great many refuse to process it once you're in the position, and the potential upside is quite great. Negotiate a salary first is my tip, for otherwise the employer may talk smaller numbers given that your percentage take home under lafha would be significantly higher.