Joondalup and surrounding suburbs..??

Hi all,

I have just been chatting to some old friends I have in Perth, and they currently live in Ridgewood..and me & hubby are hoping to emigrate some time in the next 18mths to 2 yrs, all being well. I have been looking at the Joondalup area as this is possibly where I want to work...as I will be a Nurse and quite fancy working at the joondalup hospital.

Is Butler, Ridgewood, merriwa, clarkson, quinns rocks, mindarie and joondalup all good areas to be looking at ?

We will be a family of 4, we have 2 boys, aged 6&7 when we arrive, would like good schools, fairly close to the beach, safe environment, etc

Any info would be great? Many thanks

Hello I work in Joondalup & asked one of the people who's lived in the area all her life what she recommends & this is her list:

So far we've not had much chance to explore beyond her yes list & they seem pretty accurate so far. Others may disagree but might be a nice starter for 10.

Yes:-

• Edgewater-Older houses
  • Ashby – Newer Houses
  • Sinagra - Newer houses
  • Tapping - Newer Houses Mixture
  • Connolly – Older Houses
  • Carramar - Newer Houses
  • Pearsall- Very New houses
  • Mindarie – New and expensive
  • Hillaries – Middle aged and expensive
  • Ocean reef – mixture of old and new also expensive
  • Burns Beach – Mixture of old and new
  • Sorrento – EXPENSIVE
  • Currumbine-Mixture of old and new

So So houses, not GREAT suburbs but not TERRIBLE suburbs

• Heathridge –
  • Mullaloo-Mullaloo pub and beach can mean lots of drunkeness
  • Cragie
  • Padbury
  • Greenwood
  • Beldon-Got my tire slashed here for no apparent reason.
  • Kinross

No’s or places I just wouldn’t recommend

• Wanneroo – LOTS of stabbingsand shootings
  • Clarkson – School kids bored running a muck
  • Merriwa – Lots of break ins
  • Banksia Grove – people have bad opinions on this place because of the Africans that seem to love it but that’s your choice!

Guest Ali&Paul

The above post seems pretty accurate to me, iv been warned to steer clear of clarkson, meeriwa, butler, heathridge etc.

We have just got a rental in currambine and we love it, some gorgeous houses, lovely friendly area and literally a 2 min walk to the primary school which gets a good name. For us it's perfect, close to Joondalup, 5/10 min drive to the beach or hillarys. Love it.

Hope that helps a bit

Alison.

We are in Hillarys and it is full of young families. There is a mixture of houses though, some very new expensive and some older not quite as expensive. I have to agree with Clarkson and Merriwa theres no way we would live there. We had our short term let in Merriwa and the area doesn't compare to where we are now. Mullaloo is nice and so is Kallaroo. THere is also Woodrige and Kingsley which have good schools if you don't mind being 10mins from the beach.

Thank you everyone who has posted on this. We are too moving to Perth Oct/Nov 2012 and have a family and so too needed the advice on what areas to avoid and what areas are good with families. I know you can move around if you don't quite find what you are looking for, but surely you need to have a good starting point, as I'm sure for the first few months everything will seem a bit stressful anyway.

Ahh brilliant thanks very much for the posts, these have been really really helpful!! :) JaynBev I will start working my way through that list :) See what we can find! lol xXx Its been really helpful to have an idea of areas to avoid..as how horrible would it be, after many years of yearning for the dream of living your life down under..only to find you have ended up in the worst suburb!! argh!! lol So thanks it is really appreciated xx

Guest sophiesindall

Great list and a big big help... We're hoping to move over in April and really need to decide where to go and what schools to enrol in. I've 3 girls and really don't want to change their school once they've started! Choosing a suburb was really overwhelming at first but now I've decided the Joondalup areas it's becoming easier. Quick question... Does anyone know what Quinns Rock is like and what the schools are like there? It was on the telly this morning and looked lovely. :)

Great list and a big big help... We're hoping to move over in April and really need to decide where to go and what schools to enrol in. I've 3 girls and really don't want to change their school once they've started! Choosing a suburb was really overwhelming at first but now I've decided the Joondalup areas it's becoming easier. Quick question... Does anyone know what Quinns Rock is like and what the schools are like there? It was on the telly this morning and looked lovely. :)

hi there, we have a rental in quinns Rocks, and yes the area is lovely!! our kids are in Quinns Beach primary so far so good! Its about a 15 to 20 min drive into Joondalup. We are 5 mins walk to the beach and have a park over the road.

Guest guest1228

Lol, get your facts right re Wanneroo....lots of stabbings and shootings!!! A man was shot a few months ago...isolated incident. I live in a peaceful cul de sac in a nice 4 bed home....no hassles, cheap ara, close to everything, 5 mins freeway, 15 mins beach, great local shops, love living here.

Hello I work in Joondalup & asked one of the people who's lived in the area all her life what she recommends & this is her list:

So far we've not had much chance to explore beyond her yes list & they seem pretty accurate so far. Others may disagree but might be a nice starter for 10.

Yes:-

• Edgewater-Older houses
  • Ashby – Newer Houses
  • Sinagra - Newer houses
  • Tapping - Newer Houses Mixture
  • Connolly – Older Houses
  • Carramar - Newer Houses
  • Pearsall- Very New houses
  • Mindarie – New and expensive
  • Hillaries – Middle aged and expensive
  • Ocean reef – mixture of old and new also expensive
  • Burns Beach – Mixture of old and new
  • Sorrento – EXPENSIVE
  • Currumbine-Mixture of old and new

So So houses, not GREAT suburbs but not TERRIBLE suburbs

• Heathridge –
  • Mullaloo-Mullaloo pub and beach can mean lots of drunkeness
  • Cragie
  • Padbury
  • Greenwood
  • Beldon-Got my tire slashed here for no apparent reason.
  • Kinross

No’s or places I just wouldn’t recommend

• Wanneroo – LOTS of stabbingsand shootings
  • Clarkson – School kids bored running a muck
  • Merriwa – Lots of break ins
  • Banksia Grove – people have bad opinions on this place because of the Africans that seem to love it but that’s your choice!

wanneroo used to be a larger suburb ashby, sinagra, tapping, carramar, pearsall were all part of wanneroo the mnarket gardens got broken up and these suburbs were built i wouoldnt say wanneroo is bad and its beautiful by the lake , and down dundabar rd the houses start at a million dollars , its also nice at regent waters ,

i wouldnt consider mindarie as new as i looked at the blocks in 1995 when they were building so i think its a mix of older and newer some with views of water etc are expensive others are really good value .

Hi there

I would pretty much agree with all the above advice

We have emigrated from uk and now live in Hillarys but have recently also started up a short stay/holiday home in Currambine which is pretty much in the areas you have mentioned above. It may be a good base to explore the areas. It is close to Public transport and shopping centers, a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom self contained house with spa. We are buliding a web site that will be online soon, if you would like more information please pm me and we would be more than happy to email you pictures of the house as well as answer any questions you may have.

Germaine and Chris

Edited by ali