Hi all, moving from the UK to Perth

Guest lou950

Guest lou950

Hi there, my name is Lou and myself and my family are wanting to relocate from the UK to Perth as soon as possible. My husband, Lee, is a Chemical Engineer and having done our research we believe there is lots of Oil & Gas work in Perth for him to get his teeth into! We have 2 young children, aged 2 and 6 months, and would like to offer them a better quality of life which we think Australia has to offer.

We would love any advice anyone can give us. We qualify for various visas, but all of these take time and we've been told that if a company sponsors you, you can get a visa in as little as 6-8 weeks. We are willing to move immediately if the right job were to come up.

We've been talking about doing the move for a few years, but found out I was pregnant when we were going to have a months visit, so decided to have the kids in the UK then make the move when life settled down a bit!

I have no idea how we will go about finding somewhere to live from the UK, hiring a car (can you get kiddie car seats included in car hire?), whether it's worth taking our furniture or buying out there etc.

Please help me! hehe

Thanks everyone Lou x

Hi and welcome to PIO. If you're thinking of a sponsored visa then you're first job will be to find an employer who is willing to sponsor you ... you will be tied to that employer and if you want to leave or get fired then you have 28 days to find another sponsor. This is also a temporary visa.

I'm sure you can hire cars with child seats in them.

There are some people here on the site who offer short term accommodation, you probably won't get a longer term let until you are here and able to view properties in person.

To ship/not to ship is really about personal choice ... we brought everything and still had to buy more, whilst others have come out with a few boxes and bought everything here.

I would suggest if your husband is looking at Oil & Gas work, then send his CV to the likes of Clough (ben.adams@clough.com.au), Worley Parsons (they have numerous Hydrocarbons jobs on the go), Transfield Worley. They are the main ones I can think of at the moment and a good start. Have a look at http://westjobs.com.au/JobSeeker/resources_mining_oil_gas_gorgon.html as well. Get in quick if you are going to do it, because our wonderful government has decided to scrap incentives for companies to employ foreign workers, so it will be more and more down to the individuals to get themselves here rather be sponsored.

Some of the bigger hire car firms will provide car seats at a cost (I believe) or alternatively you can hire them short or long term from the likes of http://www.hireforbaby.com or http://www.kidspot.com.au and I believe they will deliver them to the hire car company for the day you arrive. We used the first one and the service was excellent.

Guest lou950

Wow this is brilliant, thank you so much for this information!

Ali, thanks for all the info and for letting me know that some people on here can arrange short term lets. That is definitely something I will look into when we come to make the move.

Philpom, thanks to you also for all the info. I've already passed it onto my husband who has uploaded his CV onto the sites you suggested. We both really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge with us.

Don't suppose either of you know anything about bring pets and how easy it is to rent with them? We have a labrador......

Thanks again! :)

You can read all about bringing your dog here http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=the%20United%20Kingdom we will be bringing our Westie with us. The rules changed at the beginning of this year and they now have to be vaccinated against rabies and then have a blood test about 4 weeks later. Ours has just had his and thank goodness he had a positive result. I imagine it will be more difficult to rent with a pet but you can do it. Good luck!

Lou950, with regards to your husband looking for work as a Chemical Engineer, here are a few agencies for him to get in touch with that deal mainly with Engineering recruitment. One of the previous companies I gave you is one that I currently work for. I am a mechanical/piping designer and these are the agencies that most people in the industry around Perth would contact.

http://www.swanpersonnel.com.au/

http://www.techresources.com.au/

http://www.bsptechnicalrecruitment.com.au/

http://www.ambitengineering.com.au/ (this is a good one as they have a salary index on their site which gives you a good idea of what each job in each engineering sector can expect to earn.

http://www.adecco.com.au/

http://www.darecontract.com.au/

http://www.erconsultants.com.au/

I am sure that this is more than enough to get you started. There are others, but you probably wouldn't want his CV being fired into the same companies by a dozen different agencies all at once.

Guest lou950

Philpom, I honestly cannot thank you enough for this. It really is such a huge help and my husband will be over the moon when I tell him.

I've started looking into bringing out dog and £3000 is about right, but that's just for getting him there. Then there are the vets fees this end and the quarantine costs that end so all in all I think £4-4.5k.

Can I ask how you got your job out there? Did you just go and look for work when you got there, or did you get a job whilst still over here? We have no idea what the best way to do things is. We've been in touch with a migration company about getting a skilled working visa, but my husband has also started looking for work in the hope that someone will give him a job and arrange the visas etc for us. Wishful thinking??

Don't be fooled by my name - I am not a Pom, it's just to do with my surname. I am a Perth boy who spent 8 years living in Ireland. I didn't have the issue of sponsorship and I had my job lined up before I left Ireland as it was with a company I had worked for previously. Your husband could be lucky and get a job lined up before you get here, but it would be more to do with how demand at the time and the lack of supply. The agents I believe will be a bit reluctant to do too much before you get here I am guessing (I had a similar problem before I moved to Ireland). He would have more chance of sponsorship if he was directly in touch with the companies.

If I think of any more companies that deal in Oil & Gas I will PM you with the details. The only other option that you may already know of is look at http://www.seek.com.au

Hi Lou, and welcome!

You absolutely can get hire cars with baby capsules and booster seats for older children in them, you just need to specify what you need. You can often arrange to actually pick them up from the airport as well, so you fly in, get your luggage, and pick up your car. You may not want to do this (due to jetlag etc!) but it's definitely an option.

One thing to keep in mind, I am aware that there are a number of regulations around booster seats etc - in terms of they have been mandatory for kids up to particular ages. Unfortunately I don't have children so I'm not aware of the specifics but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can give more details!

I am one of the posters here that provides short term accommodation so please feel free to click on the link in my sig, or send me a PM.

Regards

Jen :)

Guest lou950

Hi philpom, right I get it! Just presumed you were a Pom haha. Ok so the best route might be just getting a visa here then coming out?! Hmm shame as I want to come now!! :) my hubby has looked but he doesnt think there is much for him which is a shame as we always hear how desperate for engineers you guys are......a colleague of mine who works in Aberdeen recently told me they had a meeting with a guy from perths chamber of commerce as they were desperate for chemical engineers. Hey ho! My hubby doesn't currently work in oil and gas and never has done. Maybe this will be his sticking point?? Sorry to pick your brain but are there other industries we could also try? And yes he knows about seek.com but thank you again. Lou

Guest lou950

Hi Jen. Thanks so much for the info, it's a great help!! And the info on short term rents is brilliant! I absolutely will be in touch when we have our plans finalised !!!!

Thanks, Lou!!

Hi philpom, right I get it! Just presumed you were a Pom haha. Ok so the best route might be just getting a visa here then coming out?! Hmm shame as I want to come now!! :) my hubby has looked but he doesnt think there is much for him which is a shame as we always hear how desperate for engineers you guys are......a colleague of mine who works in Aberdeen recently told me they had a meeting with a guy from perths chamber of commerce as they were desperate for chemical engineers. Hey ho! My hubby doesn't currently work in oil and gas and never has done. Maybe this will be his sticking point?? Sorry to pick your brain but are there other industries we could also try? And yes he knows about seek.com but thank you again. Lou

Hi Lou, with WA being such a resource driven state, the work is primarily Oil & Gas and Mining, so I guess it make take a little bit of time for your husband to get something sorted, but I would suggest he just keeps pestering people until someone says yes. The old saying of out of sight out of mind is true so constant phone calls are the way to go.

Guest becca.1989

hi lou, hope this helps we emigrated a year ago and my family and i used the following company www.lets-perth.com they have property rentals and a great car hire business and also do airport transfers, the prices were fantastic and the service was excellent :-) good luck xx

Guest lou950

Hi Becca, thanks very much for this. I'd actually come across this website whilst browsing other stuff and I've saved it to my favourites, so it's nice to know it comes recommended. Will definitely be getting in touch with them now. Hope you're enjoying the Australian life! Lou xx

• 1 year later...

Lou,

I got general skilled migration visas for my family approved 18 months ago and have applied for just about every piping engineer job that has come up over the past year in Perth.

Dont be fooled, there are not many jobs about at the moment and any that do I think are getting snapped up by engineers already in Perth.

My veiw at the moment is that volume of long term work is pretty scarce in Perth and seems quite a risky proposition to base a full migration on at this point in time!

I've heard of a lot of expat engineers heading away from Oz due to lack of work!

All the best anyway!

The first thig to be aware of is that a company sponsored visa is usually a 457 visa. This is a TEMPORARY visa. You are not emigrating on this visa, mearly coming for upto 4 years.

There are a number of significant down sides with this visa. Firstly, it is tied to the employer. So if you husband were to lose his job, he would have 90 days to find another who is willing and able to sponsor - not every company can - or you would all have to leave the country.

The other thing to remember is that medical care is more limited for temporary visitors

As from next year, WA will have mandatory fees for school for temporary visa holders. These are $4000 per year for the first child and $2000 for subsequant children