Will we be able to afford to live in Perth?

Russ is a mental health nurse and we think his wage might be around A$50,000-A$60,000 but he will be the only one working to begin with and as I have only worked on the wards and in the community as a nursing assistant, my wages won't be much as I will be part time. I'm just concerned that we would not be able to live in Perth Joondalup :sad:

We have a 5yr and a 2yr old and one due Dec.

Edited by Russ and claire :)

Current pay for level 1 is $53,222 - $70,036 in public hospitals (sorry don't know private. We don't have nursing assistants/health care support workers here in hospitals as they did in the UK. You may need to look at places like silver chain for care work

Guest angiemalc

Hiya! The rate of pay should be $70,569 pro rata (for level 1 yr8) I am 14 yrs qualified and thats what iv just started on. You get your enhancements on top of that to tho - approx +35% for nights and +50% for weekends. Unless you apply for a level 2 job thats what the rate should be, hope this helps.

angie

Hiya! The rate of pay should be $70,569 pro rata (for level 1 yr8) I am 14 yrs qualified and thats what iv just started on. You get your enhancements on top of that to tho - approx +35% for nights and +50% for weekends. Unless you apply for a level 2 job thats what the rate should be, hope this helps.

angie

Thank you, it has helped a lot :)

• 4 months later...

Im a mental health nurse moving to perth in DEC 12. I was wondering what the set up is within the mental health service and if it is similar to the UK, i terms of wards and CPN's etc. I have experience with both. I can only really see the RPH as the biggest service provider. Help!!

I would have a look at some of the posts outlining what can expect to be paying for various utilities and bills for living in Perth. It really depends on what you are used to living on in the UK as to whether that would be enough for you, my opinion is that one income of under $55k for a family of five is not enough.

We only have one income at the moment due to OH not working - we have no kids and are finding things quite tight and I earn nearly double that.

• 4 months later...

Hi ali

I'm an anaesthetic nurse with 4-5 years experience in anaesthetics and 10 years since qualifying as a nurse. Just wondering if you had any idea on a salary I would likely be offered? Would I start at the bottom of level 1?? I'm only at the early stages of applying for 190 visa. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as am worried about cost of living etc.

Caroline.

Guest lynne80

Hello, i'm ana anaesthetic Nurse too and i have been offered a starting salary of 65400 so i'm not sure if this is the starting salary for people qualified for over 5 years Like you and i.By the way its my first interview and in a private clinic the Hoolywood hospital.I'm yet to accept the offer as i would like to see what the government hospital has in offer.

Many Thanks

Lynne

Hi ali

I'm an anaesthetic nurse with 4-5 years experience in anaesthetics and 10 years since qualifying as a nurse. Just wondering if you had any idea on a salary I would likely be offered? Would I start at the bottom of level 1?? I'm only at the early stages of applying for 190 visa. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as am worried about cost of living etc.

Caroline.