No air con or heating- what to do

Hi guys, we just wanted a little bit of advice please. We have found a beautiful house to rent in Baldivis but it does not have any air con or heating. So a quick question for those of you who are already there, would it be daft to take this property for 12 months? We have been assured that the breeze will keep us cool enough during the summer and fans will be sufficient. What do you think? Any advice appreciated

You could always ask the rental agent if the owner would be prepared to stump up the cash for a reverse cycle system even if it's only in the living area. You never know your luck. With Baldivis not being too far from the coast, you will get early enough sea breezes during summer.

Personally, I wouldn't take anything with no aircon in at least the bedrooms. The winter is cold enough but you can get by with a gas or electric heater. But in the summer I wouldn't be able to sleep in a non-a/c room. The living area is less important for us - we figure if it's hot in the day we'll either be at work or outside enjoying it!

If you like the rest of the house you may be able to suggest to the agent that you'll only take it providing the owner agrees to a suitable system being put in place within x months.

I think it's a very personal thing. I'm WA born and bred, and there's no way I could go through a Perth summer without air conditioning. The days aren't too bad as I have a desk job in an airconditioned office, but the nights - when the house is still 28 degrees celsius, sleeping is impossible, and you feel terrible the next day.

Jen

I live in Baldivis and its not that Breezy , also it depends on which way the house is facing , tree's ( for shade etc ) .. also remember to shut down windows and blinds all day in summer and open up later when its cooling down , you can buy pedistool fans .. personaly i would want at least one aircon or ceiling fans .. it can get really hot and feel that way for days .

I complain when i am too hot or too cold though and very rarely use aircon mostly ceiling fans , but i do when its still really hot at night or sometimes in the main room for the dog when its a scorcher .. there's always one... :wink:

Heating isn't an issue as you can buy oil heaters, but I wouldn't be without air-conditioning. We've only got one unit in the living room, but we can have this on and the bedroom doors open and the coolness reaches us in there. We've bought a temp guide and we've worked out we can't really sleep if the temps in our bedroom go above 23 degrees, the air con keeps it around 21.

Our apartment is a lot cooler than it is outside (lots of trees and shade) so it's noticebly cooler when we get home from work on a hot day, but it's heated up by bed time due to us being in there and cooking etc.

We have air con units in the bedrooms and they work really well if you get a decent one. If you don't mind the expense this might be an option. This is the type of unit I mean.

http://www.theofficesuppliessupermarket.com/p/provic-air-conditioner-portable-remote-control-with-hose-3-speed-12000btu-hr-1500w-ref-ptc14000e?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing&utm_term=326030&utm_campaign=cpc&gclid=CMrG0dmBt7ECFU6JfAoda1gA3w

This looks good, if they work. Is this what we would be able to find in WA too? Thank you for the advice

Not sure if this was aimed at me but if so I just had a quick look on google and found this.

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/reverse-cycle-portable-air-conditioner/?utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=myshopping

If we had a decent selection to choose from in Scotland (Bbrrrrr....) I would like to think you would have a lot to choose from in sunny Oz. My husband is offshore at the moment but I do remember him saying we shouldn't buy a cheap one as they really are rubbish and it must be ducted with a hose. Hope this helps!!

Not sure if this was aimed at me but if so I just had a quick look on google and found this.

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/reverse-cycle-portable-air-conditioner/?utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=myshopping

If we had a decent selection to choose from in Scotland (Bbrrrrr....) I would like to think you would have a lot to choose from in sunny Oz. My husband is offshore at the moment but I do remember him saying we shouldn't buy a cheap one as they really are rubbish and it must be ducted with a hose. Hope this helps!!

I agree, this looks like a good option, and the fact you can move it around means that you can shift it from the living to the sleeping areas.

Just one thing, this one is also ducted with a hose. Any portable refrigerated air con unit will need ducting, as they all do produce significant moisture, so do the wall installed ones, you just don't see the runoff pipe most of the time as it's installed. :wink:

Jen