Where to live...???

Guest dig23

Hi everyone, I know there are lots of posts about this but the more I read the more I confuse myself so I thought I would just ask again!!

Could you please recommend some suburbs or areas that might suit us.

I know that everyone has different tastes in where they live but any suggestions would be fab.

We are married, just the two of us, no children. I am 27 and we love doing out-doorsy things - walking, biking, swimming etc. I would like to be close to somewhere where there is horse riding and also a nice community spirit where there are places we can get out and meet people. Our budget is in the region on $400-$500 pw rental or $450k to buy once we find so where to settle. I have always lived right in the sticks in the uk so not sure I would feel at home in the centre of a city but open to suggestions. We are hoping to work in the CBD but don't have jobs lined up yet. Would prob want about a 40min commute.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks so much.x :wacko:

Hiya

I think you may have to narrow your search down a little bit more. Have you yet decided if you want to live SOR or NOR. You could get the things your after from quite a few suburbs but maybe you need to put your prioities into order. If your willing to commute 40mins you should be able to get a bit more for your money re housing wise but will you both have a car, if not then maybe have a look at places with decent rail and bus links to the CBD.

Im sorry dont know anything about horseriding apart from seeing places advertised but not sure where their are. I havent either done any cycling but plan too once our container arrives with the bikes!! There are some lovely tracks along the river, beaches and parks so i dont think you will have any probs there.

Sorry ive not been much use but again if you come back with something a bit more specific then someone will be able to help you out. One thing i will say so is ive noticed that a lot of the new estates and builds are build quite close to each other so if you dont like to feel too hemmed in that could be something to think about.

Good luck with your move:biggrin:

Mandurah is 50 mins by train from the CBD by train. Lots of outdoors things, particularly water sports such as kite surfing, surfing, kayaking, windsurfing. Good mountain bike trails and a short drive (10 mins) are the horse areas around Pinjarra.

It is a small sea side city but has everything we need

Guest racheldarkesouthwood

I agree that you'd struggle to find someone for that rent or house price with all the things that you want/need, I'm sorry.

I also agree that you have to decide if you want to be NOR or SOR and then make your priority list... Each area offers something different but at least one of your 'must-haves!' I would argue that South Perth has a lot of them, but they come with a massive price tag.

Although we live within ten minutes from the CBD (which is amazing - I really love the city!), we are surrounded by tree-lined avenues and the river is right on our doorstep, which makes for the most incredible walks, bike rides and sights - we see dolphins every other day.

I am happy to help, but I think you need to be a little more realistic about your budget - sorry.

R x

Ahhh thanks everyone. :wubclub: First thing I must just say is that I really don't want you guys to think we're not being realistic, my example was just in an ideal world to see if/where we could get anything for that from people who have experienced it first hand.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Any more are welcome!

Hiya

I think you may have to narrow your search down a little bit more. Have you yet decided if you want to live SOR or NOR. You could get the things your after from quite a few suburbs but maybe you need to put your prioities into order. If your willing to commute 40mins you should be able to get a bit more for your money re housing wise but will you both have a car, if not then maybe have a look at places with decent rail and bus links to the CBD.

Im sorry dont know anything about horseriding apart from seeing places advertised but not sure where their are. I havent either done any cycling but plan too once our container arrives with the bikes!! There are some lovely tracks along the river, beaches and parks so i dont think you will have any probs there.

Sorry ive not been much use but again if you come back with something a bit more specific then someone will be able to help you out. One thing i will say so is ive noticed that a lot of the new estates and builds are build quite close to each other so if you dont like to feel too hemmed in that could be something to think about.

Good luck with your move:biggrin:

Thanks fifi,

In terms of being SOR or NOR I don't really mind, the only thing is that from reading forums etc I've heard that NOR is much more expensive and you get more for your money if you go further south. Is that correct??

Guest racheldarkesouthwood

If I hadn't have moved to South Perth first off, I know I would have been happy north of Hillarys in Joondalup, or south on the coast - Mandurah, that kind of thing. The only place that is really popular that I love to visit but would hate to live there is Freemantle. And some of the areas SOR are pretty soul-less, although we know people in Leeming and they are very happy there. I would make access to the city and river a priority before the beach, tbh. The river is GORGEOUS and the city is ACE, and you'll nearly always drive to the beach however close you live because of all the clobber.

Edited by racheldarkesouthwood

Mandurah is 50 mins by train from the CBD by train. Lots of outdoors things, particularly water sports such as kite surfing, surfing, kayaking, windsurfing. Good mountain bike trails and a short drive (10 mins) are the horse areas around Pinjarra.

It is a small sea side city but has everything we need

I had actually thought about Mandurah but again I had read somewhere that some people think it is too far to commute!! Well at the moment we drive about an hour to work so would def consider this and 50 mins by train sounds good!! Thanks so much.

Guest guest1228

Can only comment on NOR but I would have a look at East Wanneroo, parts of this suburb border bushland and countryside several stables in the area and some properties may feel a bit more rural than in the middle of a suburb...20 mins to coast....Bullsbrook is an eastern suburb lovely and rural, not sure about commute to city but sure its not more than 50 mins, about the same to the coast. Have a look at http://www.reiwa.com for prices of rentals and homes to buy

Guest guest1228

Somewhere else that's really pretty and historic is Guildford, right by the Swan and not as far out as you'd think. In fact a lot of the north eastern suburbs may fit the bill