Child benefit entitlement??

Shelley

Hi all,

We are arriving in April on a PR visa. Can anyone tell me if we will be entitled to Oz child benefit?

We have a 6 year old and a 4 year old. My husband has a job in sales so will only be getting a basic wage of $50k at first and I want to get the kids settled into school before finding work.

Has anyone any idea of what we may be able to claim...and how much it would be?

I have used the government website estimator and it comes out about $600 per fortnight which seems very generous, especially compared to the UK.

I really don't want to sound like a complete sponger... but if we will be entitled to it then why not make things a little easier!!!

Be great to hear any experiences with this.

Thanks

Shelley

i be interested to find out about this as well,we have a by the time we get over there a 9 month old,can you claim for this right away,do you have to earn a certain amount in wage to get it or does all get it regardless of earnings and as i will have just moved to oz will as said above be able to apply right away or have to wait 2 yrs as im sure for job benefit etc you need to wait 2 yrs.

I just read this

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/centrelink/parenting-payment/income-and-assets-tests

seems to suggest if one person isnt working and the other one is and gets a pension, your income has to be under 124 dollars a fortnight to get the full payment? I assume the full payment is very generous then as who could support a family on 124 dollars a fortnight!!!

did a quick calc on here for you

http://www.taxcalc.com.au/#results

for 50 k your take home pay is 800 dollars a week, 3475 a month.

The way i read it is that you wouldnt get very much if anything? Or am i reading this wrong??

We came here last January and ended up getting about $400 ever 2 weeks, this was because we hadn't earned much in England because our wages were so low so it went on our oz wage which came to about $35000 per year as we would have worked less than half a year. This year I've said we will earn just under $96000 and have chosen to get our money at the end, I've over estimated so hopefully we'll get more back that we thought, $96000 is the cut off for having one child obviously it's higher with two. If we hit $96000 it should be about $50 every two weeks back for a year but I think we may earn less so hopefully we'll get more.

The other thing is my two year old is at Nursery everyone regardless of wage gets 50% back so we pay about $30 per day. The also hold back a small percentage which you get back at the end of the year.

Hope that helps, it can get quite complicated but we seem to get more than England!!

https://www.centrelink.gov.au/RateEstimatorsWeb/publicUserCombinedStart.do

This is the link I have used for the calculator. I think the parenting payment is a separate payment to the family assistance payments that I was looking at.

Bessie, what information did you need to show UK income, how did they use what you had earned prior to going to Oz?

Thanks for all the info.

Ok so just did a calculation for earnings of 60k for one partner and nothing for the other, no childcare, and rent of 400 a week. Coming out as 362 every fortnight of family assistance a, b and rent assistance.

seems fairly generous as on the equivalent salary in pounds in england we get 80 quid every four weeks!

• 3 weeks later...