How much is enough?

Gillypops81

Moving to oz in August, hubby, myself and our 2 year old...489 regional visa so will have no jobs, or home, car etc...been saving for a while but how much do you think is enough to see us 'ok'?

That is virtually an impossible question to answer. As Ali says everyone is different. Perhaps you should start by searching through all the threads/posts on this site and other similar ones and read what all the information on cost of living, rents, budgets etc and then work out what money you know you have versus what you could need. You can also Google and find loads of sites that give you an factual indications relating to all cost related issues.

Ali says six months savings but you could easily say a years depending on your own personal economic wants. The best advice is do the research because personal comments can be so different because we are all operating under different circumstances.

Where abouts are you by the way?

Moving to oz in August, hubby, myself and our 2 year old...489 regional visa so will have no jobs, or home, car etc...been saving for a while but how much do you think is enough to see us 'ok'?

As others have said, it's hard to say really. I would ditto others comments and bring enough for at least six months. Think about rental bond, food, transport etc. Will you be shipping furniture etc over? If not then you need money for all this too. Good luck!

Could anyone suggest a ball park figure of liquid assets you need evidence of in order to be granted a visa though please or is enough money to see you through the 3 - 6 month relocation process enough? Thanks in anticipation.

What visa there are buckets of them? If you are not sure then go to this site, see what fits and then it will take you to the relevant pages of associated information.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/

• 4 weeks later...
Guest pommybob

This was our budget for the first 6 months. How you cut your cloth will be different, but it should give you an idea.

We spent roughly $50K (approx 34,000 GBP at today's rate of exchange) in our first 6 months of arriving in Perth. We only arrived with suitcases, so costs went on fully furnished holiday let for 4 weeks cost $3,600, rental bond for first rental house cost $2,000, 6 months rent (26 weeks) @ 500 per week cost $13,000, car, registration, and insurance $8,000, furniture off Gumtree $7,000, food at $350 per week for a family of 4 for 26 weeks $9,100, school clothes for 2 x children and school books which are compulsory $2,000! Ouch! Bills for rental house (water, gas electric, internet, Foxtel) approx $120.00 per week for 26 weeks $3,120. Perth commute costs $60.00 per week for 26 weeks $1,560........it goes on and on. This isn't all the costs, but they're the major ones from the top of my head.

Hope this helps?