Open account in UK & deposit cash

FromTheRail

We are looking to open an Australian bank account in the UK and are looking to deposit Aus$'s into it at a UK branch.

It is not some sort of money laundering scheme but a way to increase spend on a BAPP Amex to gain a 2for1 voucher and numerous Avios.

I still need to crunch the figures to see if it would be worth it financially, the other option would just be to take the cash into Australia when we emigrate.

Any thoughts/info??

Hi,

We were at an expo last week and the lady from ANZ actually advised us to open an Aussie bank account about 12 months in advance of going over and start depositing some cash. Can't remember for the life of me why now, but at the time it sounded like good advice.

I'll dig out the leaflet or ask hubby if he can remember and get back to you....

Nikki

Can't remember for the life of me why now, but at the time it sounded like good advice.

Have to wonder if one of the main reasons is so they have your money sat in their account :wink:

I've not heard of anyone trying to put $'s in to an account in the UK. Doing the maths would be worth a few minutes I reckon - by the time you've paid all the commissions/handling fees etc it may not be worth it.