Money saving ideas!!!

travelchic

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a laugh I have had with all your posts on this thread! Girls you are so going to make it in Oz if your ingenuity on money saving ideas and sense of humour have anything to do with it! Good Luck to you all and keep posting......

You are too too kind Rossmoyne...nice to hear that a sense of humour goes a long way in Oz!

Off to Lidl now to save some cash on the weekly shop...they do a great vino blanco, though maybe this should not be a necessity...(hangs head in shame, with big blinking eyes)

We did a boot sale to get rid of stuff and we just had a 'fiver' table, a 'quid' table and a 'free' one. The fiver table was the first to empty and someone even took the table!

At the end of the day someone had dumped 6 stainless steel doors that had come from some industrial unit. I loaded them up, drove to the scrappies and got around £450 for them! I think the day netted just over £1k

I also sold my fancy car and bought a battered old Subaru Legacy for the last six months we were in the UK. It had come from a farm and had had a hard life and stank of dogs but was awesome for moving stuff, had loads of extras and the rear seats were like new, they'd never been used. When it was time for it to go I managed to find another at a salvage yard and replaced the boot carpet. I scrubbed it and filled it with magic trees. I sold it for £500 more than I paid! Awesome, it was easily the best car I've ever owned.

I also made friends with a mates son who worked at M&S on Saturdays. I gave him money each week to shop in the staff shop for us and I'd pick him up and run him home (in a doggy smelling car). Every week we'd have bags of food for next to nothing, it was stupidly cheap.

As Rossy said, great fun ladies, good thread.

Ha Lou. Get her on the phone to gas/electric company and see if she can negotiate a price reduction. Then send her round to ours to do mine lol.

I have turned the heating off today. Weather is soooo mild. Hope I don't have to turn it on again. Hope this is spring.

Worked my day off this week but then that's nothing new.

My tv has broke. Gutted. Not buying another one though. Refuse. Now we are watching a kids TV in the shape of a big furry camel. Embarrassing for me but jonny is chuffed. And I'm not buying another one. Did I mention I refuse to buy another TV!!!

We did a boot sale to get rid of stuff and we just had a 'fiver' table, a 'quid' table and a 'free' one. The fiver table was the first to empty and someone even took the table!

At the end of the day someone had dumped 6 stainless steel doors that had come from some industrial unit. I loaded them up, drove to the scrappies and got around £450 for them! I think the day netted just over £1k

I also sold my fancy car and bought a battered old Subaru Legacy for the last six months we were in the UK. It had come from a farm and had had a hard life and stank of dogs but was awesome for moving stuff, had loads of extras and the rear seats were like new, they'd never been used. When it was time for it to go I managed to find another at a salvage yard and replaced the boot carpet. I scrubbed it and filled it with magic trees. I sold it for £500 more than I paid! Awesome, it was easily the best car I've ever owned.

I also made friends with a mates son who worked at M&S on Saturdays. I gave him money each week to shop in the staff shop for us and I'd pick him up and run him home (in a doggy smelling car). Every week we'd have bags of food for next to nothing, it was stupidly cheap.

As Rossy said, great fun ladies, good thread.

How much do you reckon I'll get for the garage door?? Lol

Debs

What a laugh I have had with all your posts on this thread! Girls you are so going to make it in Oz if your ingenuity on money saving ideas and sense of humour have anything to do with it! Good Luck to you all and keep posting......

Be funny if we all turned up at Perth at the same time. I'll probably be deported for improper use of a catheter bag under the medical appliances act 1732 pmsl

Debs

I have just saved myself £500 a year (estimate) by switching energy supplier! :ssign19:

The companies really are all at it with their billions of pounds profit annually. EDF had put my DD up to £200pm so that was it...time for a move!!!

200 quid a month, blooming heck !! What are you trying to heat, a dope farm??? :biggrin:

Edited by StraighttothePoint

200 quid a month, blooming heck !! What are you trying to heat, a dope farm??? :biggrin:

Lol lol! :biglaugh: I know right...it was them that put it up!!!

Apparently the increase was based on my usage last quarter!! Think I may have been a bit over anxious about keeping baby warm during the freezing Scottish winter! Ooops...

I'm back. Just caught up with the money saving tips - loving these and would be hilarious if we all did get to meet up in Perth. What would we be called?:wink:

Back to business, I also leave the shop day a day longer now. I find that I am more pro-active about meals if I have to "make do" with what I have in the freezer or cupboard and most of the time OH seems to enjoy these concoctions which is worrying:wideeyed:

I'm back. Just caught up with the money saving tips - loving these and would be hilarious if we all did get to meet up in Perth. What would we be called?:wink:

Back to business, I also leave the shop day a day longer now. I find that I am more pro-active about meals if I have to "make do" with what I have in the freezer or cupboard and most of the time OH seems to enjoy these concoctions which is worrying:wideeyed:

Welcome back Lorraine.

Ha ha candygirl. When I make a concoction and the fambo like it, I can't remember what I put in it and can never make it again lol.

i think we should be called the tight squad ha ha. Anyway, I don't think I'll be so generous with my money ever again. I think I am always going to be thrifty pmsl. I will invite all my money saving friend to lunch when we arrive in Perth. Potato peeling soup all round lol.

Debs

Lol lol! :biglaugh: I know right...it was them that put it up!!!

Apparently the increase was based on my usage last quarter!! Think I may have been a bit over anxious about keeping baby warm during the freezing Scottish winter! Ooops...

Yep I still have a flat back in Fife and my last quarter's gas account ws 4 quid in debt. This has been the first time, as long as I can remember, that the account has been in debit but the provider automatically increased my monthly payments by 50%!! I had an online Live Chat with them, (great way for folk out here to contact service providers by the way), and asked how they worked that out and why they did not just either leave it or increase it by a small percentage based on historic balances and payments. Obviously I must have been speaking to a 10 year old because that question was too hard for them to answer. Anyway no big dramas and they simply made the monthly payment what I requested, two quid more per month!! The reason they must be playing this trick is to probably get more cash into their systems for cash flow purposes, i.e. in order to cover all the non payers debts and to get some additional bank interest. The extra cash flow and interest will then in turn help them pay the big fines they are being hit with in relation to false selling they got caught for - the x##$44's

As for keeping the baby warm... When I was a lad in Edinburgh when we woke up to frost inside the windows we just put another jersey on!! :biggrin: Stop molly coddling the wean and just give it a bigger blanket or two :biggrin: It will grow up soft like most of the folk these days :biggrin:

The reason they must be playing this trick is to probably get more cash into their systems for cash flow purposes, i.e. in order to cover all the non payers debts and to get some additional bank interest. The extra cash flow and interest will then in turn help them pay the big fines they are being hit with in relation to false selling they got caught for - the x##$44's

As for keeping the baby warm... When I was a lad in Edinburgh when we woke up to frost inside the windows we just put another jersey on!! :biggrin: Stop molly coddling the wean and just give it a bigger blanket or two :biggrin: It will grow up soft like most of the folk these days :biggrin:

You must be right about them trying to get extra cash into their system!! A new blanket is just the ticket! Cannae afford the heating so blankets and wooly jumpers it is!

I feel for you. We are out of the house all day so don't use the heating all that much but when you're at home all day it must cost a fortune. And when it's cold it's usually worse further north. And it has been a dreadful winter. But if you're like us it has begun to get warmer this week. Thank The Lord. It's been a long winter this time. I hope it's gotten warmer for you too malella.

Debs.

The Tight Wad Gang sounds about right. I think saving money is in your blood tbh.

I am known for my thrifty ways. I never pay expensive for my clothes. I prefer quantity rather than quality. I bought some cropped jeans the other week in the sale for 2.50. I wore them out with a top and some new shoes and the whole outfit cost me £20:biggrin: