Grocery prices - UK vs Australia from our recent reccie

SaffanZimbo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, you wont find many cheap places here, you can try farmer jacks and spud sheds but the quality is not great.

most of the woolies and coles stuff doesnt look very nice either. I tend to buy from butchers and fruit and veg shops. Its definitely worth the money to get good quality stuff here.

it still baffles me that coles sponsor all the cooking shows here because when i see their fresh fruit and veg it is usually not very nice!!!!

today i discovered an organic shop in joondalup called harvest health. Its brilliant! It is more expensive but only by a dollar or two pre kg per item, not as much as i expected. Got some lovely organic produce today for not much more than i usually spend at drovers.

You will be surprised. Lots of people do not get a big pay rise when they move to Oz. My pay is actually less because of tax reasons.

On the flip side, I earn about 2 and a half times what I did in the UK at today's exchange rate and I pay a lot less tax.

Makes the 3.5 quid a pint, almost comparable with the 8 dollar pint I'll be having in an hour.

And electronic stuff is a doddle to swap the plugs on. Just get on eBay and get the Aus kettle leads for TVs, Laptops etc to make life easier. I bought a load of extension blocks, used 1 (for tools), and sent the rest back as I didn't need them.

where has straight to the point gone ? not seem you on pp for ages ??

When over there I find you shop differently than in the uk, ie you may do a big weekly shop, but you call every couple of days for fresh stuff as it does not have long sell by dates on.

Guest Guest6235

Do people not find if your shopping here and there at the various food stores to find the best value or cheapest food that you are just using the money saved on petrol getting to the various stores/butchers. I know we tried it couple years back in England getting bits from Aldi/Tesco/ASDA etc for the cheapest items but by time you've done all that the money has been spent on petrol. It's ok if the shops are in one block I suppose but usually they aren't.

Prepare for a few hours to change to Aussie plugs, a fast alternative which allows a bit of time is adaptors from ebay (China) we bought 10 at $1 each free postage then change plugs at leisure. The 3 pin ones are much better than 2 pin.

There is a very good reason they are cheap, what's a bit of time to replace the plugs for the piece of mind

if you use the 2 pin ones your appliance will not be earthed

Do people not find if your shopping here and there at the various food stores to find the best value or cheapest food that you are just using the money saved on petrol getting to the various stores/butchers. I know we tried it couple years back in England getting bits from Aldi/Tesco/ASDA etc for the cheapest items but by time you've done all that the money has been spent on petrol. It's ok if the shops are in one block I suppose but usually they aren't.

Not really keefo. The shops i am using for fresh produce are about 15km from where i live already, in my opinion its worth the trek to them for the quality. I tried a local grocer run by asians last week, the produce was not as fresh and the carrots tasted so disgusting i chucked the whole bag away. Unless you live close to quality shops you will have to drive to do shopping. The organic shop and drovers are about 5km away from each other, then i use my local coles or woolies so doesnt take too long or use too much fuel.

in the uk we lived in a town that only had a co-op so we have to drive to a bigger town to find a tesco or morrisons, so we were driving 15/20 miles to shop there too.

Not really keefo. The shops i am using for fresh produce are about 15km from where i live already, in my opinion its worth the trek to them for the quality. I tried a local grocer run by asians last week, the produce was not as fresh and the carrots tasted so disgusting i chucked the whole bag away. Unless you live close to quality shops you will have to drive to do shopping. The organic shop and drovers are about 5km away from each other, then i use my local coles or woolies so doesnt take too long or use too much fuel.

in the uk we lived in a town that only had a co-op so we have to drive to a bigger town to find a tesco or morrisons, so we were driving 15/20 miles to shop there too.

That's strange, we only have a co-op in our little town and have to drive 12 to 20 miles also to Tesco or Morrisons (no other supermarkets nearby)

I seem to recall you moved Hillarys way. 2 veg shops I used (and sometimes still do if I am down that way) are in Carine and Gwelup. Carine Glades shopping centre has a great grocers which has a deli/butcher/fishmonger right next to it. There is also a great grocers at Gwelup shopping centre on North Beach Road in Gwelup. Worth having a look.

I seem to recall you moved Hillarys way. 2 veg shops I used (and sometimes still do if I am down that way) are in Carine and Gwelup. Carine Glades shopping centre has a great grocers which has a deli/butcher/fishmonger right next to it. There is also a great grocers at Gwelup shopping centre on North Beach Road in Gwelup. Worth having a look.

lovely, thank you arwen!

next week i am going to try out the poynter farmers market in duncraig. On a farmers market mission now so if anyone knows any good ones with organic stuff please share. Manning markets are supposed to be good too.

lovely, thank you arwen!

next week i am going to try out the poynter farmers market in duncraig. On a farmers market mission now so if anyone knows any good ones with organic stuff please share. Manning markets are supposed to be good too.

Leederville apparently have a good one and Kalamunda also, but that's a bit more of a trek.

Let's face it, everything is more expensive in Perth, groceries are more expensive, cars are more expensive, houses are more expensive and hence you have a bigger mortgage and bigger repayment, the interest rate is higher than the UK, petrol is cheaper but you tend to have a bigger car here so it's more thirsty, but yes, we are earning more, and if you are involved in mining on FIFO you are earning a considerable fortune, but tax is higher, we brought all our electrical goods with no hassles, but just remember if you going to use high powered electrical goods through adapters eventually they going to overheat and melt down, I bought a load of Aussie plugs from Bunnings and changed them on all the daily use stuff, my TV and all the associated DVD players etc still have UK plugs through a UK power board with an Aussie plug on it, same for the office, all my power tools and my bedroom, I tried the Canningvale markets for a couple of weeks for fresh produce but it was hit & miss on freshness, one week was fine, everything lovely and fresh, next week was not so good, everything over ripe & limp, also remember if you are bringing hoovers and carpet cleaners, make sure you clean it out spotless, and I'm not just talking about the dust bag, AQIS will target them and inspect them, if they find a spec of dust, a blade of grass or a seed, it's $400 minimum to 'fumigate' them, in some cases I've heard that they have been sent to the incinerator, so there goes your nice new dysan, if you do buy a new dysan, make sure you take it out of the box, so it doesn't look brand new

Let's face it, everything is more expensive in Perth, groceries are more expensive, cars are more expensive, houses are more expensive and hence you have a bigger mortgage and bigger repayment, the interest rate is higher than the UK, petrol is cheaper but you tend to have a bigger car here so it's more thirsty, but yes, we are earning more, and if you are involved in mining on FIFO you are earning a considerable fortune, but tax is higher, we brought all our electrical goods with no hassles, but just remember if you going to use high powered electrical goods through adapters eventually they going to overheat and melt down, I bought a load of Aussie plugs from Bunnings and changed them on all the daily use stuff, my TV and all the associated DVD players etc still have UK plugs through a UK power board with an Aussie plug on it, same for the office, all my power tools and my bedroom, I tried the Canningvale markets for a couple of weeks for fresh produce but it was hit & miss on freshness, one week was fine, everything lovely and fresh, next week was not so good, everything over ripe & limp, also remember if you are bringing hoovers and carpet cleaners, make sure you clean it out spotless, and I'm not just talking about the dust bag, AQIS will target them and inspect them, if they find a spec of dust, a blade of grass or a seed, it's $400 minimum to 'fumigate' them, in some cases I've heard that they have been sent to the incinerator, so there goes your nice new dysan, if you do buy a new dysan, make sure you take it out of the box, so it doesn't look brand new

Just keep in mind that if there was a fire and you didn't have the correct plug your insurance may not pay out.

Ah yes, but also remember, here in Aus you not even allowed to fit or change your own plug, you have to pay for a licensed electrician to do it. (Wat a lot of bo##%*¥s)

Proving they didn't is difficult so I don't worry about that. Using adapters however is easily provable so I wouldn't do it.

Guest Guest6235

Makes you wonder why anybody goes to oz & stays out there after all that ! :)

Edited by Guest6235

Ah yes, but also remember, here in Aus you not even allowed to fit or change your own plug, you have to pay for a licensed electrician to do it. (Wat a lot of bo##%*¥s)

You only need a sparkie if it's from the sockets backwards. Totally legal to change your own plug.