Pilbara - any info?

poppops

HI

Does anyone one have any info on Pilbara?

I have just applied for a job but I am wondering if this area will be too remote, its a way from Perth.

Are there any airports that we can use instead of coming to Perth then flying back to go to Singapore!

Just googled the temps and mid Autumn is 35..wwhhoooo!

Anyone got any info on surving this! :o)

Firstly, where in the Pilbara and doing what? A lot of people that work there, work on a FIFO basis, so they fly in, stay in temp accomodation for a week / two weeks and fly out for a break.

It is hot, damned hot. Temps in summer can be high 40's. I have just spent a year working near Marble Bar and January we had a couple of weeks where the temp never went below 40 even at night.

Firstly, where in the Pilbara and doing what? A lot of people that work there, work on a FIFO basis, so they fly in, stay in temp accomodation for a week / two weeks and fly out for a break.

It is hot, damned hot. Temps in summer can be high 40's. I have just spent a year working near Marble Bar and January we had a couple of weeks where the temp never went below 40 even at night.

This is putting me of, no wonder the job offers a lot of extras!! I would be teaching so no chance of flying off!

There are two things you need to think about. One is that if it is in the small towns, there are massive social problems in many of them - a lot of the population may be aboriginal and a significant number have severe issues. There are some ok schools in places like Hedland, but the rents in Hedland are $1300 a week.

There is no shortage of teachers in Oz for most subjects, just a shortage of people that will work in some areas.

Do you know which town it is that they want you to work in? The Pilbara is a huge place.

I would be working at the Tafe in Karratha. I am up for any challenge as some of the students I teach here are well all I will say is no two days are the same!!!

I am just worried about the heat.. two young children, hubby is from the med so this is not really an issue.... :o)

The TAFE itself shouldnt be too bad, though it will probably still have its fair share of kids with problems - the north of WA is infamous for aboriginal communities that have huge social problems - families living in tine huts spending their days drunk or petrol sniffing. But, TAFE wont be as bad as some.

The heat can be very high. How that affects you is difficult to say.

The main things you need to consider are that it is a very long way from anywhere - a small town that is a 1.5 - 2 hour flight to Perth. Then the cost of living there. As mentioned, you will be looking at paying $1400 a week in rent. Most other things are also very expensive.

I would be working at the Tafe in Karratha. I am up for any challenge as some of the students I teach here are well all I will say is no two days are the same!!!

I am just worried about the heat.. two young children, hubby is from the med so this is not really an issue.... :o)

Listen to what everyone has said. The heat is massive.... the local social stuff is massive.... the cost of buying a house in Karratha is massive. If you think you can deal with all this then go for it. Otherwise you need to seriously rethink the whole issue.

If you wanted to see more, and work in the real WA, and not be another number in the suburbs of Perth then on reflection if you can afford it and are not afraid of a real challenge then go for it. If you do though try and have an escape clause in your contract / agreement so that if you do get over powered by it all you can get transferred to another regional area and you also do not lose your visa rights. Most folk coming here end up doing the same old, same old albeit in better living conditions with a great outdoor lifestyle.

I will put it like this, i was working in the Pilbara till last month. Would i move there? There isnt a mining company with enough funds to pay what i would want to move my family up there. Its not "some" adventure. It is moving to a small pretty crap town, in 45+ heat that is miles from anywhere and where a sophisticated night out at a nice restaurant involves steak and chips.

If you are so keen on seeing the Oz outback, do a holiday.

I will put it like this, i was working in the Pilbara till last month. Would i move there? There isnt a mining company with enough funds to pay what i would want to move my family up there. Its not "some" adventure. It is moving to a small pretty crap town, in 45+ heat that is miles from anywhere and where a sophisticated night out at a nice restaurant involves steak and chips.

If you are so keen on seeing the Oz outback, do a holiday.

Couldn't put it better Verystormy