Bought some dollars today

andyplasterer

Andy, the AUD has had a bit of a rough week due to economic news coming out of China, employment data coming out of Oz and the threat that the yanks might pull their economic stimulus package.

The AUD dropped about 3 US cents during the week before gaining a little back on Friday. The long term expectation is that the AUD will drop and possibly to around 80 US Cents, it is currently just above 95 US Cents. The AUD has averaged around 75.5 US cents since it began being traded in around 1982.

The only reason the AUD got so strong was due to the GFC not really affecting Oz and due to the mining boom and investment. Now that the US economy is supposedly starting to look a bit better traders are moving money from Oz, where new mining investment has halted, and buying back into the US $.

If the AUD continues to weaken and the £ gets stronger then you could possibly (sometime in the future) see the days of AUD 2.50 to the £ like we did in the early 2000's.

I usually keep up with the Oz economy goings on here : http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business

Yes but...

I have been fortunate during my life and worked / lived in several locations and I can honestly say, hand on heart, that Perth is by far the "greediest" place I have ever been. It is all about the dollar.

Only my view of course and sure others perhaps feel differently.

Ditto....best place in the world to get pantsed!

Life the world over isn't it SttP?

Hi tayloal, I have just seen you are not here yet, so basing your opinion from afar, which is fair enough. My experience has been that it is a very materialistic society here in WA. Money is an obsession and seen as an end in itself. It is very cultrually differnt to the UK. Its not just my view, its a widely held view, I was warned regularly very early on the locals rub their hands together when they see us Joohnny - foreigners coming!

Even Aussies will tell you (whether they approve or not) the WA culture is all about the $$$$$